👩🎓 Assigning courses to an existing group In this article we learn how to assign a course to an existing group Mark Mills
Why do we need to do this?
Assigning courses to groups is required to enable the learners and teachers to access the course content. Without this step, learners can't learn and teachers can't monitor activity on the course.
Who can do this?
Head of department
What could you have done first?
The course must be in a curricula in your subscription.
You must have created a group.
You could have assigned teacher(s) to a group¹.
You could have assigned learner(s) to a group².
- You must be logged in as a school admin or head of department.
- Choose 'Admin > Groups'.
- Choose the group to which you wish to assign the course by clicking the pencil icon next to the group name.
- Look for the pink coloured panel with the title 'COURSES'.
- Click 'Add course to group' - a search bar appears.
- Click or tap in the search bar.
- A list of courses not currently assigned to the group appears.
- Find the course in the list and then click/tap to add it to the course.
- If the list of courses is long, start to type any part of the title and then click/tap when the desired course appears.
- Next, select the exam date (or approximate date if not known) from the 'exam date' calendar picker.
- Next, set the start date to either today or some time in the future when you want to course to become available to learners in the group.
- Next, set the end date to the same date or later than the exam date. This is the date on which the course will cease to be available to learners.
- Finally, click the [add] button to add the course to the group. The site will not allow you to take this step until you have specified all three dates.
Courses can be assigned to a group as part if the group creation process as long as the courses are within a curricula that is part of your subscription.
¹ Without assigning teachers, there is no one to set assignments to, or monitor the progress of the learners. Learners can still access the courses without a teacher assigned. Only teachers assigned to the group will be able to access courses allocated to that group.
² Without learners assigned to the group, no student will be able to access the courses in the group.